I've had some emails in the past while about this mask, including some great feedback and questions, so I thought I would post a little update with a few more notes.
Just as a reminder, here is the mask recipe and how to from the original post:
- 2 tablespoons of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of water
Starting with clean skin, cover each area slowly using a GENTLE circular motion (it may not seem like it, but this is exfoliating your skin majorly, so go easy, you'll feel it after). I LOVED the texture of this, it felt like velvet.
Leave it on for 5 to 10 minutes, and gently rinse away. After your skin will feel a bit tingle, and it will be in need of some moisture. Slather on your face lotion (I like Aveda's Botanical Kinetics™ Hydrating Lotion) and that's it!
Now for my update! I have been using this mask about once a month, and I am loving the results. Here are some notes on how I've been using it:
- With occasional use, I feel like my pores look better. You can't ever shrink them, but you can keep them clean, and this does that for me.
- I feel like I can go a little lighter with my daily routine now. I wash my face morning and night (I use Dove Sensitive skin bar soap with the Olay Cleansing Brush, and I LOVE them both). I also use day and night cream, but I don't really worry about anything else.
- I do NOT have perfect skin, but I do feel like using this routine makes my skin look as good as it can. In the past I have tried every face product you can buy, and I don't bother with new ones anymore.
- If I didn't stress it enough in the initial post, you really need to be gentle. This feels deceivingly smooth, but in actuality it's really taking off that dead skin. If you scrub too hard, you will feel very sensitive afterwards.
- I actually have sensitive skin, and this works for me, but I'm careful to be gentle and I always follow up with a healthy dose of moisturiser.
- This is best used every few weeks, not every day! This is a special treatment, and you have to find what works best for your skin. Some people may be able to do this weekly, and some may not be able to use it at all. Be careful and don't overdue it!
- Using it on your hands is really amazing. I mentioned that initially but I can't stress it enough. Us ladies are tough on our hands with the dishes and cleaning, so give this a try. In fact, you can probably use this more frequently on just your hands. Here's the best way - make this mask and work it over your hands for a good couple of minutes. Follow up with a really heavy hand cream (I like this one) and them slip on some moisture gloves. I like to do this right before bed and it's amazing!
Ok, I hope that answers all of the questions I've received! I'm planning another DIY beauty treatment that's pretty awesome too, hoping to have it up soon!