YES! It's a new year, a time to start over, to think about all the ways you've messed things up (kidding!) and all the things you want to do better. I have SO much I want to focus on this year. It's not really about losing a certain number of pounds (although I could spare a few, but whatever), or taking Ben on a certain number of play dates. This is more about looking at the various aspects of my life, and trying to be better. Just in general. Is that possible? I hope so. We'll see. But, these are the things I'm planning on focusing on. I'll for sure be adding to this list, and revisiting it regularly. Here we go!
- Let myself off the hook. I don't need to be teaching Ben geography. He will watch tv sometimes. IT'S OK. He's safe and happy and loved.
- Take care of myself more. Long relaxing baths. More time for reading. The occasional manicure.
- Be more mindful of my health. Take my vitamins. Get outside more. Schedule a checkup. Visit the (dreaded) dentist.
- Stop complaining. Just in general. Or do it less at least. No one likes a whiner.
- Take a moment. When I'm frustrated, or mad, or having a tough day with Ben. Try not to instantly react, but take a moment, a deep breathe, and move on.
- Talk less, listen more. I added this to a list before and I still like it. I may not always do it, but I want to try.
- Plan a night away, just the two of us.
- More date nights. We do this regularly and it's honestly so much fun. We usually do dinner and a movie, or a concert. Feels like we're carefree kids again!
- Have game nights. We used to do this, but we forgot about it. It's fun to play stupid games like Yahtzee.
- Give each other a kiss every single day. Even if we're mad at each other. (All the more reason).
- Family date nights. Like a date night, but Ben gets to come too!
- Get outside more. Walks around the neighbourhood, hikes, that sort of thing.
- Visit our grandparents more.
- Plan a family vacation. We have a lot of house plans in the near future so this won't be any big fancy trips, but we were thinking about planning a few days at a cottage this summer.
- Cook healthy family meals. I've been doing this much better since Ben started eating everything we are eating, but I just want to always think along these lines.
- Declutter, even more. I have been working on this for months and it's totally addictive. I'm slowly working through each room, getting rid of the extra stuff, creating a cleaner, calmer space. I want to clear out an area of our house (even a single drawer) every week.
- Work on the outside. This spring I am planning on spending a weekend tearing the garden apart, reseeding the lawn, all kinds of things like that. Ben will be old enough to probably spend a weekend with my parents (Mom, is that ok? Ha ha...) and then I can get it all done and ready for us to play in all summer!
- Basement project. Billy has huge plans for our basement, and it may not all get done this year, but we want to get started. I'm VERY excited! Especially because I'm going to paint the whole thing white! YESSSS. And it will double the space down there. Our basement is a great family room kind of space, but we've never done anything to it. It's in desperate need of new carpet, and a nice big sectional....
- Finish our bedroom project. I want to replace our dressers and get side tables. Once that's done we can finish this room up and it will be our perfect little haven.
- Relax about cleaning. I have an unhealthy need to have a clean home (not actually joking, it's terrible) and I want to stop thinking about cleanliness. I have scheduled two cleaning days a week (Monday and Thursday) and apart from that I will NOT think about how much pet hair is on, well, everything. Sigh.